Re: the time has come again....EIP Warning Long...

I have experience from 2 of my friends and  a myriad of other
acquantances about problems with EIP, mostly guys with VR6's from the GTI
VR6 list or Corrado list.
  Ian was right, that they screwed Ryan Carter by taking his money, then
taking almost a year to deliver an incomplete kit and jerking him around
until the shop that Ryan works at, Eurotech in FL, fixed it and made it
run right.
   My friend, Larry Leff, who had spent bought an intake, cams, chip and
techtonics valve springs from them.  He sent them an extra VR6 head for
evaluation so that Rich at EIP could decide if they wanted to buy it.
AFter 3 or 4 months of trying to get a hold of Rich, the valve springs
went south less than a year later, due to the fact that they were not VR6
valve springs, and were not even techtonics.  The company that made the
springs, never even tested them for the VR6 application.  The broken
spring messed up his head and scored one of the pistons so he needed to
go to a 2.9 and spend $1100 for pistons.  Rich told him that they had
already turned his head into a big valve head and that they did not have
a stock one to give him back, even though they had never agreed on a
price or that EIP was even going to buy the head.  They offered to give
him $250 for his head at that point, and the cheapest that Larry could
find a stock head was $650.
     They said they would make him a deal on an engine, if he took the
car to them, from BOSTON, and they woudl warranty the engine for 12
months.  There deal was around $750 off their cost.  He called Colin at
TT, who he had never had a dealing with before this time.  Colin sold him
the 2.9 euro pistons for $1100 instead of the list $1400 just because of
the headache that Larry had been through already.  I have several friends
that know Colin personally and have known him since TT was in Riverside.
If you are seriously considering any engine mods to really increase the
performance, he would be one  of the first people I would call.
    A friend from Ohio sold a really nice SLC to Rich for a song, on the
agreement that when the car got back to EIP, they would take of the
springs, shocks, sway bars, stress bars and a couple of other little
things and send them back to Ohio.  They would also trade him 1 EIP
intake for every 2 stock intakes he gave them.  He sent them 4 intake,
and got 1 back.  He called several times and was told they would return
his call.  After a couple of months, they said that that was not the deal
that they had set up and the matter was closed. He also discussed the
fact that now the  shocks and springs came back, but no bars.  Rich said
they weren't included, even though my friend had it in writing about what
was included and what wasn't.
   Then there is our dearly departed Chris Taylor ;-) and his VR6 1990
Corrado that took over a year and around $4000 more than the original,
"It will be no problem,  We just did one of these conversions and know
exactly what to do" estimate.
    The GTI VR6 archive has a whole list of things that are wrong with
EIP.  The problem is that most people are so far away from them that it
is not worth their time to go and file suit against them. There are
several people who have had good stuff done by EIP, and they are the less
vocal minority, but even when the other lists post problems, there is no
one who has said, that "I got great service from EIP."
  If anyone has any real interest in continuing this, contact Larry at
lleff@imisys.com  I believe he has a full list of most of the people that
Rich has screwed and would be more than happy to share the information.

Ken Weidmann Jr
GLXTASY@Juno.com
Checkered Flag Automotive Components
95 Black Jetta GLX M3 wannabe