Scirocco roof racks

I've been a freelance writer for several bicycle magazines over the years and
did a roof rack buyer's guide a few years back, using my '86 Scirocco as the
test vehicle. I'd have to say that the Thule rack fit best. (though I
generally prefer Yakima, which is on my Passat wagon)

Use of Thule's 'stretch kit' is key for carrying something like a windsurfer -
it allows the crossbars to be spaced about 40" apart (or more maybe - can't
remember exactly). The rack snugs itself to the roof by clipping in at the
doors, so w/o the stretch kit the rails are maybe 20" apart.

I actually have two complete (two bars/four feet each) Thule rack set-ups and
might be interested in selling one, though I've been sort of saving it for
some unknown future vehicle.

Alan