Re: The Joys of Carpet

---- Begin Original Message ----
 From: "T. Choi" <slowturn@u.washington.edu>
Sent: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:26:43 -0800 (PST)
To: scirocco-L@scirocco.org
CC: scirocco-l-digest@scirocco.org
Subject: The Joys of Carpet

	Hey everyone, i'm in the process of taking my carpet out of my
MK1, but i just can't figure out how to get those weird metal disc
thingies that are underneath the drivers side dash.  I have no idea
what the do anyway, and prying doesn't do much.  Good 'ol bentley does
provide some cleaning tips, but nothing else.  Anyone have any ideas?
	And one more thing, does anyone happen to know what carpets are
interchangable among the a1's?  and for that matter, what seats are
interchangable?

Thanks

	Teddy

Do you mean thse metal disks that are like a inch across? They are a PITA to get off. They should hold down either the carpet or the sound proof material or both. Either pull to all hell till they come off or if you look real close there are three or four prongs that hold it to the center shaft and pry one or all back till it comes loose. They actually hold the carpet down pretty good. But remember they really like where they are right now so they put up a good fight.

As for carpets, I would tend to think that a scirocco is a scirocco and a rabbit is a rabbit. The seats in the rabbit are much higher than the scirocco. In the scirocco you almost sit on the floor while the rabbit is high, bench like. Thus I think the center hump is taller in the rabbit so there would be different carpet patterns so they would not be interchangable.

As for seats the MK1 and MK2 seats are really not the same. VW changed the front seat mount between body styles so a MK2 will fit in a MK1 but will wobble in the front mount. As for Jetta and Rabbit/Golf they are too tall. (THat is unless you are real short)

HTH

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'94 toyo 4x4