Newer style timing belt covers????

Urgent question: I got the 3-piece plastic timing belt covers to replace
my old ones. The lower part gives me headaches: for the old lower cover,
there was a hole where the weird 6mm hex-nut went through the upper and
lower cover and onto a bolt protruding from the engine block. That bolt
was on a threaded nut which is mounted on the engine block. That nut is
too large for the hole in the new lower cover to fit. In other words, my
new lower cover cannot be mounted flush with the engine block because of
that nut.

To top it all off, I have (somehow) lost the bolt that went onto that
nut.

It seems obvious that I have to remove that nut, correct? It also seems
logical that the nut has a bolt on the other side, that lets it bolt to
the engine block. Once I remove that nut, what is the size of the stud
that I need to get to screw in there and have it go through the hole of
the lower cover?

Thanks,

Ilias