Re: broken exhaust stud - help!

>Well, when I got underneith I found that at least
>one of the exhaust studs on the #3 cylinder was gone, missing.
>I'm assuming it broke off inside the head.  The exhaust gasket was
>hanging out about 3/4 of an inch so I'm assumnig the other stud
>broke as well.
>
>What do I need to take off in order to get at the studs?  Is it
>possible to take just the exhaust manifold and downpipe off?  Out
>of all the work I've done, I've never attempted this and it looks rather
>difficult.  Please help, the exhaust is extremely loud, too loud to
>drive, and my other transportation is a little on the questionable
>side.
>                   Kris Rayner

Having just dissassebled my cylinder head, I can picture this exact
situation.  In fact, I had a sheared bolt on the intake side, for a
coolent flange.  Anyway, it depends on where the bolt was sheared
off, flush is going to be a bigger problem.  I learned to _not_
try and drill em out, have someone TIG weld on a short rod to
what's left of the bolt, then use a set of Vicegrips to turn it
out.  Other then that, I'm pretty sure there's enough room back
there to remove the manifold (after the downpipe is removed).  I
believe that they're 12mm, and the pipes get it the way of most of
them anyway so a wrench will be necessary as sockets won't work on
some.  The studs that don't turn themselves out trying to take off
the nuts can be removed by locking a pair of nuts onto the stud,
then using the inner one to turn it out.  I'd say on a difficulty
scale of 1 to 10, this is probably a 7 to 8...depending on
experience naturally.

==Brett