broken exhaust stud - help!

I'd noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the engine when
under load for the past week. Well, when pulling it around to the
back of the auto shop at school to take a look at it, it suddenly got
louder and louder.  Well, when I got underneith I found that at least
one of the exhaust studs on the #3 cylinder was gone, missing.
I'm assuming it broke off inside the head.  The exhaust gasket was
hanging out about 3/4 of an inch so I'm assumnig the other stud
broke as well.

What do I need to take off in order to get at the studs?  Is it
possible to take just the exhaust manifold and downpipe off?  Out
of all the work I've done, I've never attempted this and it looks rather
difficult.  Please help, the exhaust is extremely loud, too loud to
drive, and my other transportation is a little on the questionable
side.
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
   http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/scirocco.htm