RE: procedure for changing fuel filter?

And Mr. Bentley says to open the gas-filler cap

There really isn't all that much fuel that will come out, just put out
any cigarettes. A rag is good, and any drips will evaporate fairly
quickly. The real excitement is when you put it back on, crank up the
car & realise you didn't tighten it down all the way - man can that
fuel shoot far!

Easy fix, just make sure you have the right tools (learned the hard way)

---Chris Coracini <Coracin@usdl.com> wrote:

> the bosch FI book says to just stuff an absorbent rag under/around
one of
> the nuts on the fuel distributor and loosen slowly, catching the gas.
> haynes said to pull the fuel pump relay, but as soon as you do that,
the car
> instantly stops and there is still fuel pressure left.  this is
because the
> injectors have a preset pressure when they open (30psi?), and as
soon as the
> pressure gets below that, they spring shut.  that still leaves the
system
> pressurized from the fuel accu.....  i'll shut up, i think i already
> answered your question, use a rag.
>
> chris
> 86 16V scirocco

==