Re: Shifting into 5th is nervous

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:20:43 -0500 Slink <slink1@jps.net> writes:
>Last night I was out driving like the crazed madman I am, having fun.
>When I noticed after coming to a stop that I couldn't engage 1st or 2nd
>gear. After working the car to the side of the road the only gears I
>could engage was rev, 3, 4. The problem was that the shifter wasn't
>moving out of the gear.  In 5th gear I couldn't get the shifter to go
>into the neutral position  After turning off the engine and with my foot
>on the clutch I worked the shifter free.  I was able to shift into rev,
>1,2,3,4 gears with no problem with getting the shifter into the nuetral
>position, but on my way home driving in 5th, coming off the off-ramp I
>couldn't get out of 5th so I had to ride the clutch until I got off the
>ramp and play with the shifter until I was able to get it into the
>neutral position.  From there I didn't touch 5th again.  Was is the
>problem with my 85 scirocco, in desperate need of help?

Hmm, sounds somewhat familiar to what happened to me a few years ago.

My situation was the same, except for 3rd gear got stuck on me. It stuck
into 3rd, I yanked hard and got it out of third and drove it for a few
more days without problems. Then it began to stick in 1st and reverse
gear. That sucked. Eventually, once again it locked itself hard into 3rd
gear and I was able to limp it home. It ended up being time for a
rebuild. The housing for the shifter assembly was worn out so I used
another tranny for my rebuild project.
Before you get into rebuild mode, check a few things first:

Check the shift linkage, especially the plastic pieces.

Check the rear tranny mount is tightly fastened. If the nuts are loose,
the shift pattern will change on you as the tranny moves around.

If those items check out OK, then you might be headed towards the
rebuild, or a tranny replacement. HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and