Re: Shifting into 5th is nervous

T Berk wrote:

> Slink wrote:
> >
> > Last night I was out driving like the crazed madman I am, having fun.
> > When I noticed after coming to a stop that I couldn't engage 1st or 2nd
> > gear.
<snip>
> 1st Impressions; Car (& tranny) is hot. THings expand. Check the Clutch
> cable, it may be looser after being used and needs a bit of tightening.
> HAs it gotten any better now that it's had a chance to cool off?  Does
> it get a smidgen better if you mash the clutch cable all the way to the
> floor?
>
> Other thing I thought of was the fluid level in your tranny may be low
> or non existent. ANy drips or puddles of nasty viscous fluid under the
> car?
>
> What's it like the morning after?,
> TBerk

I want to 'splain about tightening the cable. The idea is that you want
to extend the length of the outer sheath so you are lengthening the
amount of the threaded portion that's exposed.

There is a lock nut that will need to be tightened up a gain after it's
adjusted. A little goes a long way here so don't crank and crank many
turn and think it's that much better. One of two revolutions makes for a
world of diff.

BEntley says expected pedal travel should be 15 mm or 5/8 ths before
encountering working resistance.  Adjust the conduit in the engine
compartment until you can lift it about 6 mm and then check the pedal,
making sure you have between 15 mm to 25 mm freeplay at the pedal.

This is relation to early model cars without the self adjusting cable.

hth,
TBerk