Re: loose break cable

Replacing a brake cable involves basically pulling apart the rear brake
that it goes to. One end goes into a little lever in the brake, and the
other end screws into the hand brake.  It's not hard, but I think you do
have to pull the springs off the brake to do it.  That can be kinduva PITA.
 Once done, I usually pull the brake where I want it, then see if I can
spin the wheel... if I can still spin it, I take up a little slack at the
parking brake, and go back and spin, and so on.

At 02:38 PM 3/13/99 -0800, Jorel Jackson wrote:
>The Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul) got lots of snow last Monday.
>I drove the '85 through it. It was so deep in places it rubbed up
>against the bottom of the car. The next day, when the roads were more or
>less cleared, the parking brake lever felt funny. As I drove down the
>road, I heard this ticking sound. I pulled up on the brake lever. One
>notch up the sound went away. So I was thinking I'll have to adjust
>that. Planned on doing this upcoming Monday. Only today the sound came
>back and would not go away. I knew it was dragging, probably snapped in
>half. So I coasted into the parking lot, shifted into neutral and began
>to coast. I pulled all the way up on the brake lever and the brakes
>worked. I got out, looked underneath, and there was a cable hanging
>down, snapped in two, just dragging on the ground. I guess I don't
>understand how the rear brakes work. It looks fairly easy to replace the
>cable. Some tips or opinions might be helpful.
>
>JSJackson '85 Scirocco
>
>--

	-David LeDeaux
'80 Scirocco