[tech] Steering Is Pooched, Causes?

   So I get my car back today.  Expecting to have a fun time bedding
in the new brakes, after two weeks of driving a mini-van.  And now
the steering is screwed.

    You know how the wheel is supposed to return to the center
position when you release it after turning.  Well mine doesn't do
that no more.  WTF?  Before anyone suggests it, no I don't have
power steering.  I looked at the rack, and boots, they seem ok, no
tears or anything.  It certainly wasn't like this when it went into
the shop.  And of course since its Saturday there is no one there to
look at it.  Arrrgggg....  They did the brakes, removed the a/c, and
changed the motor mounts.  They didn't touch any suspension
stuff...or maybe they did who knows.

   Anyone have this happen before?  Am I looking at a new steering
rack or is it something more mundane, simple and cheap?  The only
bright side to this is that the car tracks straight as an arrow, and
driving it this way is more fun that working out at the gym.

Sean Martin
87 8V