Re: Stolen Car update 2

Hey Rich,
	Rod-knock is the sound you hear when a rod-bearing has been spun, meaning
that the part of the piston's rod that holds it to the crankshaft is all
fucked up.  It's a less-damaging way of "throwing a rod".  The fact that
there is oil all over, however, leads me to believe that they did indeed
throw a rod, which means breaking the rod in half.  Usually, this doesn't
happen to VWs, but when it does, the rod is usually strong enough to bust
through the side of the block.  You guessed it, spraying oil all over the
place.

	It's tough to throw a rod in our cars; but it's possible.  Either they
dumped it into 1st gear at 80mph and revved it to 10k and blew it that way,
or it was about to go anyways, in which case they kinda-sorta did you a favor.

	I agree with Owen. Get over to the shop and get everything out of that car
that's of any value to you, because it looks like they're gonna pull the
plug on your baby's respirator... I doubt the ins company will pay to fix
all the body work, replace the wheels, tires, hood, door, dash, stereo,
etc... and *still* shell out $1500 for a new engine.... which could, of
course, be to your advantage if the mechanic accidentally slips in a 2.0
block.

	But I wouldn't let them at this point.  If they blew your engine, chances
are they were just as hard on the rest of the driveline (tranny comes to
mind)... and you'd be better in the long run to try to find something
else... as upsetting as it is. :(

	What a nightmare...
		Jason