Re: Rings n' tings

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:29:04 -0600 "Noah at ND" <noah@newdimensions.com>
writes:

>    Hello fellow rocc'ers
> I was just wondering if anyone has used or had any experience
>with "total seal" piston rings.  From what I've heard, they are some
>kind of teflon/nylon coated special rings that are better than normal
>rings for some reason(can't remember).  I had heard that they take
>longer to seal than normal rings, but eventually seal much
>better(better compresion?).  Is this some kind of american car hot
>rod stuff? Worth using?
>
>always got mo' ideas..
>  - Noah

I was discussing my plans for a future engine build with a (No, not the
Potterman.) highly reputable, highly experienced VW performance engine
builder (shop owner...) friend of mine.

When I brought up the topic of rings, the first thing I said was "I want
to use the total seal (TS) rings".

He interrupted me to tell me that he had some problems with these
particular rings. Namely being, some seal great, some don't. They work,
but with all the engines he's built with the TS rings being used, he's
never got a single engine to have similar compression between cylinders.
(Long term use, not just after an engine build.)

One day he had to use stock rings because they were out of stock on the
TS rings. Engine ran great and the compression tested much more
consistent between cylinders making the engine run smoother ect. So for
that reason, he has stopped using the TS line and uses another brand. (I
don't recall which he now uses, might even be stock.)

Anyway, that's what I know about it. No real world experience myself but
I do trust my source 100%.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and