Re: Greg Raven's new book

On Tue, 09 Mar 1999 13:53:31 -0500 "Victor Farren"
<vfarren@smtp.cdie.org> writes:
>Are you familiar w/ the book published by Bentley, written by Per
>Schroeder?

Oh yah!

>Something like...Sport Tuning for Your Watercooled VW

"Volkswagen Sport Tuning Street and Competition"

>How does the Raven book compare??

The Greg Raven book is about 1/2" longer and has a kewl picture of a
supercharged Golf on Nitrous, where as Per's book .....
Oh, sorry, I was comparing the book covers. :)

>More technical info, how to procedures
>instead of just listing things that can be done w/o the steps on how
>to do it?

Im my opinion, both books are valuable each in their own way.
Ravens book is some what dated (87') yet it still yields some very
impressive data. There's alot of the engine history and building tips as
well as technical stuff to bore those of us so inclined. Ravens book is a
cover to cover technical how to from engine building to aftermarket
accessories.

Per's book is more in tune with the autox scene but it includes some tech
info for the A3's out there too. I haven't quite cone cover to cover with
Per's book but it seems to include as much technical data as Ravens pub
does. Pers book has some updated autox tire info as well as some newer
suspension data. Nate might be interested in the OPM spacers for use
under the camber plates (Page 45) to gain more suspension travel. Drool!
There's also some installation info on the Velocity stage 2 diff kit.
Kind of shows you what it is that gets changed and how the pieces work.
Wish I had seen it before I tried it.

So, as a VW enthusiast, if I had to buy only one book, id buy the Raven
book mainly because it offers alot of upgrades that can be made easily.
As a racer, having the book from Per would be useful but as a word of
caution, check with the SCCA Autox or road racing rules before you
perform any mod he describes. he claims in a few places that "This mod is
legal in Street Prepared" when he is in fact, wrong. (Balanced pistons in
SP? Uh, nope!)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and