RE: Inlet manifold problem/question

Sound like there are quite a few variations on a theme out there. I
don't understand the point of having an o-ring seal at the bottom of the
injector.  Where would the air-flow thru the common channel go?

In the meantime, do the following details sound familiar to anyone?

The seats on my manifold are push-in and a good bit bulkier than the
standard 1.8 8v CIS seats - more like the screw-in seats: there is quite
a thick lip round the top.  When the injectors are fully inserted, the
tips are level with the bottom of the seat.

The seats have two outer seals.  The top one is just under the top lip &
is quite thick. The second is further down but quite a bit thinner.
There are two small (1-2mm) air holes on opposite sides of the seat,
between the two seals.

It looks like there should also be a plastic brace which runs across the
top of all 4 seats and bolts/screws into the manifold, presumably to
hold the seats in place.  I am missing this but it was on the other
engine I saw.

A major difference I saw between the manifolds on my engine and the
other similar audi engine was the number of hose connector take-offs -
there were several more on the front of the other manifold and
unfortunately the engine was out of a scrapped car so I don't know how
they should have been connected.  The main air chamber of the other
manifold was quite rounded, much like standard VW FI manifolds whereas
mine is more rectangular with ribs & 'audi' lettering cast in the top
surface.

TIA

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8

>From: "Chris Chemidlin" <spredhaus@hotmail.com>
>To: Coracin@usdl.com, tberk@mindspring.com
>Cc: ewanhopkins@hotmail.com, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: RE: Inlet manifold problem/question
>Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:03:36 PST
>
>FWIW, This is the same head on my 84 GLI. It has the air shouds
(plastic
>inserts that screw into the head), but uses the '1 seal' style
injector.
>I *think* this is the only year of its type VW-wise.  It is NOT listed
>on the VW microfiche!
>

>CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
>http://www.spredhaus.com
>http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
>58 Type1 Ragtop
>84 Jetta uGLi
>

>>that's interesting because i remember a thread a while back about how
>some
>>cars had the air-shroud system and lower insert but DIDN'T have the
>>air-shroud on the injector.  maybe VW had some overlap in production?
>>coincidentally, i believe it was an 83 or 84 scirocco...  hmm...
>>
>>chris
>>86 16V scirocco

O-ring.
>>> this