Re: 8v rear main seal replacenet help

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:33:20 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@nol.net> writes:
>someone says my JH 8v rear main seal is leaking, where the hell is it
>and is it an easy thing i can replace? I have no idea in here where
>my Bentley is and i don't want to have to clean my garage to find it
>if a weekend mechanic cant do this in a day...
>
>there's oil all over the bottom of my car and it leaks pretty bad
>just sitting still....
>
> thanks
>Ryan

I hate to tell ya this, but, you gotta either yank the engine (Not
necessary) or yank the tranny. You also got to remove the clutch and PP.
Then you gotta remove some of the oil pan bolts to get the rear main seal
housing off of the engine. Then you press out the old seal, press in the
new one and reinstall.

So, its in essence, a clutch job, only more.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and