Re: gear shifting question?

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 11:30:59PM -0500, Slink wrote:

> I would like to know whether it is sin in vw cars to down shift.

Nah, I do (did :( ) it all the time. Just blip the throttle a bit to make
it smooth.

> My question is whether it is best to shift out of gear or down shift in
> cases of merging into slow traffic and braking.

I think it's a BAD idea to slow the car by solely by downshifting.
(Unless you're decending a hill.) It putsa lot of cyclic load on your
 transmission. Use the brakes, it's cheap and easy to replace pads.

However, I think it's important to have power availible when needed. I try
to keep my revs up around 4000 while merging into slower traffic, that way
can accelerate out of trouble if I need to.

I also think it's a bad idea to travel in the far right lane when it has a
tendancy to suddenly stop, but that's a different story. :(

Dan