Electrical Gremlins

Hey guys,
     I've developed a problem with my 81 Rocco.  First off, the wipers
no longer work.  I hit them straight with 12V and they appear to be
working fine.  I don't think the switch is screwed up, but it could be
a possibility... also, at the same time, the signals and brake lights
went kinda funny on me they only work occasionally (the car is garaged
for the winter but I start it occassionally to run it... mostly cause
I can't stand being away from it).  I've been told that my X-relay is
gone... I've never heard of both the signals and the wipers being
relayed at the same place... doesn't make sense to me.  The guy was a
VW mechanic, which makes me think he knows what he's talking about.
What do you guys think?  What to do to fix?
BTW, several people have been talking about running city lights, what
exactly are these?  I'm sorry, but I'm stupid...  LATER!

==
                          Steve
                          '81 Scirocco (in process)
                          '94 Golf CL (all show, no...)