Re: Scirocco at v_max - was : Porsche death in Toronto ...

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:54:47 PST "Ewan Hopkins" <ewanhopkins@hotmail.com>
writes:

>My limited experience of the german autobahns ( unfortunately always as
>a passenger ) is that this road sharing thing is pretty one way:  If you

>don't happen to see the Porsche 911 coming up behind you at 150mph+ he
>(or she) will dissapear up your arse 'cause it's assumed that you will
>give way.

That's why you DON'T ride the #1 lane. Its for passing/overtaking
vehicles only. They way I recall my 3 year driving experience in Europe
(Except France and Italy. cripes. Worse than the U.S.) its considered
rude to drive in the fast lane and you can be ticketed for doing so
unless there is so much traffic as in a traffic jam. Been in a few.
Its also your responsibility to clear the rear before you change lanes
into the passing lane. As mentioned before, cars that are driving faster
flash their brights a couple times to let you know they intend to pass
you so, stay where you are. Its a great system IMO that works.

>Overtaking is done at your own peril!  Having said that, it's
>definitely better than the motorways in the UK where everyone is
>determined to hog the outside lane. Usually you have to go far too
>close before people will think to let you past.

<Jumping into the flameproof asbestos suit with Ewan. Mmm, cozy.>
Well, That's because them Britt drivers are so americanized they cant
help it. The only differences other than the other side of the road
driving bit ( I didn't say it was wrong now did I?) is instead of
flipping the bird, they wave and say, "Sorry, my fault". : )

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and