New Guy on the List

Hello everyone,

     My name is Josh Strait and this is my first time on the list.  I
have been looking through some of the archives on Scirocco.org and I
finally got around to joining up.  I live in LaSalle IL and have owned
my 1988 Scirocco 16v (~135000 miles) for about a year and a half now.  I
can never see myself getting tired of it.  Before the Scirocco I had a
1987 Golf GL, but only for about five months.  the Golf served me well
in those five months but I just wanted a Scirocco.  I logged about 11000
miles on it while I owned it and all I put into it was a new O2 sensor
($25.00) and two cooling hoses.  I bought the Scirocco from some schmoe
in northern IL.  I didn't know a whole lot about its weaknesses when I
bought it but after it was mine I learned pretty fast.  The past year
and a half or so I've been trying to get the car up to speed. So far
I've gotten a new downpipe (TT of course, I almost sh*t my pants when I
heard what VW wanted!), engine mounts for the front and back, first TT
then a poly for the front and soon a poly for the back.  I think the TT
mounts are just too squishy.  Then I got some used rotors, calipers, and
parking brake cables, since all of these things except one rotor froze
up on me.  I was having some electrical problems with the fuel pump
priming pump so that was replaced along with some other troubleshooting.
I had a leaky steering rack and leaky tranny seals replaced (big
dollars) and a leaky ignition distributor. I bought a new set of tires
too since four different tires were on the car when I got it.  The only
"performance" things I have done so far is a Jacob's Electronics
electronic ignition system with neuspeed plug wires and new indexed
spark plugs, and a K&N airfilter.  So far what this adds up to is an
excellent running/ performing/ pretty much stock car that I love to
drive and wouldn't give up for the world.  I have major plans for my car
but they are on hold for now since I need to cough up cash for college.
Before I forget I also want to say that I just ordered some of Brett's
groovy gauge faces and I can't wait to have them!!  I'm sorry this got
so long but I wanted to tell you a bit about my awesome car.  As for me
I'm a 23 year old second semester college student shooting for a Civil
Engineering degree.  I've been with my girlfriend for three years and I
drive her insane with my Volkswagen talk/ ravings.  I'm sure you can all
relate!!  Well thats it for now, thanks for your time!

                                        -Josh