------------------------------
Date: 3/1/99 12:43 PM
To: Fenton, Shannon
From: Gonzalez, Chris

I, like many of you, have been thinking about how great it would be to have
high intensity discharge lamps fitted into a scirocco. I emailed OSRAM/SYLVANIA
about it. In a nutshell, if you were to replace your H4 lamps with HID lamps, the
reflectors would bounce too much light out above the horizon, causing glare for
other drivers (hmm maybe a hood spoiler would work).  I have included their
response for your reference: ------------------------
Your HID inquiry has been forwarded to me.  I am the HID product marketing
manager.I can understand why HID concept appeals to you.  HID offers
distinctive
lighting along with improvements in performance and life.  We are in favor of
efforts to broaden the availability of HID in market through the auto
manufacturers, and we look forward to the day when GM, Ford,Daimler Chrysler,
and
more imports and  transplants offer HID as original equipment.  In the
meantime,
for the reasons detailed below, this is not a feasible concept, and we cannot
support efforts to retrofit HID to existing halogen reflectors.  Changing the
type
of light source in your headlamp assembly will  result in a system that no
longer
conforms to DOT requirements. It isnot probable that it will be cost-effective
to offer retrofit head lamp assemblies  because of the very high cost to
develop
the reflectors,optics and  tooling (well over $1million per application).A 9006
light source produces 1000 lumens (a standard measure of light generated  by a
lamp).  Reflectors designed for that light source produce  abeam pattern that
meets the SAE spec.  Approximately 400 lumens are actually useable  in an
automotive beam pattern.  The US beam pattern specification requires  a certain
amount of light above the horizon for sign illumination.If you put a 3000 lumen
HID light source into that reflector, you will most likely  exceed the amount
of
permissible light above the horizon, and you will create glare for on-coming
drivers.  An HID solution requires new reflectors  and optics that will meet
the
SAE spec and use the additional light  to achieve optimized distance, spread,
and
shoulder illumination. HID light sources and their electronic ballast's are not
currently supplied to  the aftermarket for consumer purchase.  If you are
looking
for a different lighting solution to standard halogen sealed beams or halogen
capsules, SYLVANIA offers XtraVision and Cool Blue lamps to fit many
applications.  We will be adding 9004, 9005/6, and 9007 Cool Blue lamps within
the next 3 months. David Hulick HID Product Manager.