No Subject

On the subject of installing A2 transmissions in A1 cars:

Both my A1 Jettas currently have A2 transmissions in them - the 83 Diesel
has an ACH from an 85 Golf diesel, and the 84 GLI has an ACN from an 85
Golf gas - the swap is trivial (provided that you have the right sized
drive shaft flanges!)  Your tranny must have been quite something newer
not to have the studs (or holes for them).

What IS difficult to do is to mount a pre mid-84 A1 Tranny into an A2 car

- that takes some extreme case modifications...

Excerpt from Shawn's tranny saga follows:

"I figured it was terminal for sure so I removed the tranny. I had my nice
9A tranny all prepped and ready to go in, so in it went. I got the bolts
in, connected the linkage ect. Everything was going so fast and smooth
that I thought it was going to be a 2 hr job. As soon as that thought
passed thru my head, while installing the rear tranny mount, I noticed
that the tranny didn't have the 3 studs to slide the bracket onto. So I
looked closer and what do you know, there's not even a single hole drilled
there to install studs! hmph! Oh yeah, A2 trannies wont fit into A1 cars.
I knew this. Just forgot about it.

So out came the 9A."

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca