Cold start and TT fuel enrichment

Ok now that I'll be fixing my car all on my own, I have question.  My car
has always had a cold starting problem since I've owned it.  It cranks
fine, but I have to hit the gas to get it to catch and once it does catch
I have to hold my foot on the gas with it at about 3000 rpm's for a minute
or two(depending on how cold it is) until it's warm.  if i don't hold my
foot on the gas, it will stumble horribly and idle at about 200-300rpm's
and stall out.  Now where should I start my investigation? And what should
i do to check the problem?
My second question might relate to the first but I'm not too sure.  My TT
fuel enrichment is not working and I was wondering for those of you
familiar with how it works, where should I look to find out whats wrong?
Could it be related to my cold start problem?  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Rich Deede
University Of Delaware (Communications)
1987 Scirocco 16v