Dr Dre' needs help ASAP!!!!

Sorry for it not being Scirocco related, but my friends 97 Jetta has
either a battery problem and/or an alternator problem.  Thing is, I cant
get the alternator off without the use of some special VW tool to move
the automatic belt tensioner.  Anyone know a way around it, OR, anyone
in the Seattle area that would be kind enough to let me borrow it?  I
would hate to have to tell him to take it in just cuz I cant take the
alternator out, and that being the only friggen problem.  I can have the
battery and alternator tested for free.  PUH-LEASE if you have this tool
or know someone that does I would be greatly appreciative if I could
borrow it.