Re: AC ramoval WAS:hot days in the valley/starting problems

On 29 Jun 99 12:32:16 +0100 Jonas Karlsson <jkarlsso@metabolex.com>
writes:

>while typing that I just thought of something. When removing the AC
>condenser, were there big spaces on either side of the radiator for air
>to flow by? That could be causing problems, in that a bunch of air is
>going around the radiator instead of through it. I think Meze made a
>"baffle" to stop the air flowing around his radiator. I believe he said
>that temps dropped afterward. dunno, ask him.

Yup, made one out of tin and some Ford Ranger weather stripping. Custom
cut it to fill in the grande opening that was left by the removal of my
AC condenser. With my previous FF trannies, highway speeds were at a much
lower RPM which in turn, tends to run cooler. (H2O and OIL temps.) Now
that ive installed a rev happy 4K, my H2O and OIL temps run much higher.
Typical H20 temp was 210F and oil was a constant 220F. The oil temp
didn't bother me as much as the higher than normal (to me) H2O temps. So,
looking at what was different, other than the higher rate of RPM's I
looked at the cooling system.

The oil cooler sits right in front of the radiator. The removal of the
A/C condenser left a rather large opening to the passenger side of the
radiator. Since air tends to flow much like water, it will flow to the
point of least resistance meaning, it will simply go around the radiator
rather than go thru it.

Using cardboard to make my template, I cut out a piece of tin (for its
strength and durability and because it was what I had at the time. heh!)
and cut it to fill in the gap. snip-snip-snip, trim-trim-trim and the
addition of the weather stripping and it was finished. It got quite and
odd shape but it works. Installed you cant even see it however it is
quite functional. Freeway speeds show temps much lower than before.
Around town driving is better as well. Best of all for me it was free,
just some time spent making the thing.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and