Re: timing belt change

Yes, it is possible to do it this way. The aprt that sucks is getting the
pulleys for the accessories off. If their bolts are not too difficult to
get off, the rest is easy. Since you have a 16v it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
that you do not accidentally turn the cam pulley or the crankshaft pully.
If you do, you either need to re-align everything or have it towed to a
garage, since the valves may hit the piston if you try to start it without
the timing set. Obviously, you shouldn't bump the pulleys, but also pay
close attention when you reinstall the belt so that there is NO slack on
the side opposite the tensioner. You want the tensioner to take up all the
slack without turning either the crank or the cam. If you turn either of
these when you tighten the tensioner, you're pulling the timing off.

As long as you are very careful not to move the timing, it's not hard to
replace the belt. Getting to the belt to begin with is another matter!
Remember, Liquid Wrench is your friend. I also recommend replacing the
tensioner while you're at it, as the bearings tend to go on them.

Good luck!

Neal
88 16v

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> I am planning on changing my timing belt myself if it is easy, so I can save
> the $180.  It looks pretty straight forward, remove the V-belts, and cover.
> But I don't have a timing light or anything.  Is it safe to say that being
> the car is already timed all I need to do is take the old one off and slap on
> the new one and the car would still be timed properly or is there more to
> this job?  Thanks
>
> Brian 86 16v
>
> P.S.  Any other tips about this job would be appreciated

			Neal Tovsen