mk1 and mk2

Silly questions I'm sure, but I must ask  them.

This weekend I am more than likely going to purchase a 1978 scirocco.
(maybe from a list-member but I'm not sure).  Presently I have an 86 and
have some parts that I was going to put on it. However, I am now leaning
toward just having the 86.  my questions are:

what parts can I mix between the two cars.  (I know the body is a bit
different.  which probably counts out my exhaust.  but what about my
springs/shocks/strut bearings. etc, etc, etc.......

tranny?  (5 speed over 4 speed)
just general stuff, and whatid definately not going to fit?

hey...any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!!

--Bret