Re: rustproofing (Por 15)

From: Brian and Mea Jowett <syncroboy@hotmail.com>

>I've used Por 15 (as well as the Wurth brand) on a few projects. It works
>fairly well, however, you MUST remove all rust before application... rust,
>as we all know, is the cancer of steel... you have to cut it all out or it
>will return. Por sells a blue priming liquid (zinc phosphate) which is
>pretty much required for the product to work well. 2 coats minimum of Por
>are also required...
>
>Brian

Hmmm... We've always used POR-15 over whatever rust was remaining after
sandblasting or wirebrushing. The instructions in the little "trunk
Restoration kit" they sell says simply to wire brush the rust to get rid of
the loose stuff (with a grille brush!), then the cleaner, then the Metal
Prep (zinc), and lastly the POR-15 in 2 thin coats.
I love their product. On an old '59 bug pan at my friends shop, we painted
one side with the POR-15, and left the other side painted with Rustoleum.
What a difference. Its been sitting outside for about 2 years no, and the
POR side looks wonderful (save for turning purple- remember-if it sees sun,
paint over the POR), and the Rustoleum side is starting to show the
yellow/orange traces of rust at the problem areas.  The cool thing about the
POR is, we painted over a tube that was connected to the pan. We later
removed it, so there was a 'naked' spot on the pan of bare metal. This of
course, rusted. we wanted to see if it was sneaking under the POR to eat the
metal, and since youcan't chip it off, we ground it off. It was clean under
there.  Pretty impressive to me...

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus