Re: Relay getting hot...

William J Erikson wrote:

> Hey all,
>         I went out to my '84 GTI this morning and installed the fuel pump that
> Brian sent me. It appears to be in awesome condition, thanks Brian!
>         Everything seems fine, the car starts and runs, etc, but the relay is
> getting hot. The fuel pump buzzes, but it's an even pitch like I'm used
> to. Almost all of them sound like that.
>         I have a switch installed for the fuel pump that is relayed, so the
> relay is your standard issue 30 amp relay. I have no fuel pressure
> accumulator - I deleted it from the system when I found out how much a
> new one (and the lines!!) would cost me. I now have another one... maybe
> I'll reinstall it. Should I? Would this have anything to do with the
> relay getting hot?
>         The relay getting hot means that the fuel pump is drawing too much
> power, right? The fuel pump is not getting hot or doing anything odd.
> It's staying quite cool. Voltage at the pump is... well, as good as it's
> going to get in my car, around 12 volts.
>         My alternator puts out about 12.8 volts when cold, then drops to about
> 12.1 - 12.2 when hot. Do I need a new alternator, or could this be just
> the voltage regulator? My battery never runs down or anything.
>         Thanks for any advice, suggestions, ideas, etc.
>         -Josiah
>         '84 GTI
>         '87 QSW
>         http://bork.hampshire.edu/~josiah

the fuel pressure accumulator is used to keep pressure in the system after the
pump has turned off. This helps prevent vapor lock and makes starting easier
'cause the fuel in the lines is already somewhat pressurized. The accumulator also
dampens pulses created by the main pump. It's probably not the cause of you're
relay getting hot. The relay will get hot if it's dead or if your pumps are
drawing too much power (like you said..), if you say your main pump looks
allright, then check your transfer pump, it may be dying or seized. If the GTi
doesn't have one then it could be that your wiring is rusted, is your pump voltage
12 when your alternator is at 12.8 or when it's at 12.1? if it's a 0.8 drop then
something is wrong, a 0.1 or 0.2 drop is ok, i think. You could always try the
relay out of your quantum in the GTi and see if it gets hot too.

-nigel.
86 Scirocco
85 Scirocco
http://scirocco.psycode.com