Relay getting hot...

Hey all,
	I went out to my '84 GTI this morning and installed the fuel pump that
Brian sent me. It appears to be in awesome condition, thanks Brian!
	Everything seems fine, the car starts and runs, etc, but the relay is
getting hot. The fuel pump buzzes, but it's an even pitch like I'm used
to. Almost all of them sound like that.
	I have a switch installed for the fuel pump that is relayed, so the
relay is your standard issue 30 amp relay. I have no fuel pressure
accumulator - I deleted it from the system when I found out how much a
new one (and the lines!!) would cost me. I now have another one... maybe
I'll reinstall it. Should I? Would this have anything to do with the
relay getting hot?
	The relay getting hot means that the fuel pump is drawing too much
power, right? The fuel pump is not getting hot or doing anything odd.
It's staying quite cool. Voltage at the pump is... well, as good as it's
going to get in my car, around 12 volts.
	My alternator puts out about 12.8 volts when cold, then drops to about
12.1 - 12.2 when hot. Do I need a new alternator, or could this be just
the voltage regulator? My battery never runs down or anything.
	Thanks for any advice, suggestions, ideas, etc.
	-Josiah
	'84 GTI
	'87 QSW
	http://bork.hampshire.edu/~josiah