a day of working on the 'roc and a few questions.

Worked on my '84 8V today.  Fixed a few minor problems, door
panels that weren't installed properly by the previous owner, took
apart the power mirror switch and got my mirrors working right.
However, I was unable to figure out why half of the lights in my
instrument cluster don't work.  I've got new bulbs in it, but no go.  I
checked all the connection on the wire map and the two
connectors at the bottom of the cluster.  Any other things I might
be able to check before assuming that the wire map is bad?  Right
now the only things my car NEEDS is the passenger motor mount
and front shocks, aside from the electrical problems.  Well the
silver paint is going bad, but what's new?

My rant o' da day:
Why are bugs so attracted to freshly washed and waxed paint?
And why is it that no matter how hard you try to wax it, silver paint
still looks about the same?

Anyways, I got a quote on Bilstein Sports, H&R springs, and strut
bearing from my local german parts store, GPR-German Parts and
Restoration.  They quoted me a price of $610, how's that sound?
I'm at a bit of a crossroads here too.
I want to fix up the '84, but the paint is going bad and I'd like to get
something that has 4 doors, say an Audi 4000 Quattro.  I'm
hesitant to put much money into it that I might not be able to get
back out of it when it comes time to get something that I can take
more than one other person in.  I'm probably going to be owning it
for another 2 years or so since it will be my daily driver while I'm
working on the 16v swap into my MK1 and getting that into an
almost show car state.  I'm thinking of doing the following to the
'84: shocks and struts (bilstein and H&R), strut bars, decent 14"
alloys and tires, maybe euro lights, bumpers, and turn signals, and
a few minor engine mods (tb, exhaust...)  Do you think I could get
a decent amount for a car that needs nothing mechanically, has
leather, A/C, power mirrors, and few mods but needs paint?
If you've made it this far through my email, congrats, it's over. ;)
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
   http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/scirocco.htm