Cat

My cat. is making weird noises..  as if it has loose metal rattling around
inside it. It started small, and now it's very annoying.  I made sure it
wasn't simply a problem with a loose metal guard (skid-plate ?).. it's
definately coming from within the cat.

Anyhow, I assume this means the cat. is shot. However, the bolts holding it
on are completly rusted/fused to the cat's mounting plates.  I soaked em
for a full day in liquid wrench, but that didn't do anything at all.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to have it welded off?

Also, while I'm dealing with the exhaust, would I get a noticable
performance boost if I replaced the entire exhaust from header's back?  I
was thinking of upgrading to a TT High Flow cat, and 2.25" pipes...  I was
thinking of all TT stuff, but I dont want to make this huge investment
without being sure it's worth it.

Just for info, I have an 84 8V.  Pickup is sluggish and I cant get over
4.5k in 5th.  Recently a complete tune-up (new OEM wires, bosch silver
plugs, new distrib cap and rotor, all new belts and timing, alignment,
warm-up regulator, O2 sensor, Boge TurboGas Struts (front & back).. etc)..
full throttle switch is acting very wierd though and I think my inner
driver-side CV joint is shot.

And I THANK you if you read all of this message.. I didn't realize it'de be
so large.

-Aaron
 84 8V