Re: Idle

---SII2L16V@aol.com wrote:

> I'm hoping u guys can help me out on this one.  The car (16V) does not idle
> steadily everytime it comes to a stop.  Everytime it nears 1000rpm it will
> plummet well below idle. It will fluctuate up and down 3 or 4 times and then
> finally settle at about 900rpms.  Sometimes it dips so far down shutting off
> the car.  Another problem is the tach needle surging to the redline before
> the car even starts.  Just wanna make sure there's somthing I can check out
> first before taking it to a shop.
> Thanks in advance everyone.
>
> Michael
> 86 2.0 16V

This sounds like a typical sticking or failing ISV (idle stabilizer valve).
It's the little silver canister to the front right (as your looking
at the engine from the front) of the cylinder head.  It has 1 electrical
connection, and 2 hose connections.  Pull the valve out and shoot the crap
out of it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner.  Either one evaporates and
dries quickly.  The valve gets sticky with blow-by oil and doesn't operate
the way it should, and you get a weird idle like you've got.  After cleaning
is out let it air dry for a few minutes. Could be a number of other things, but
I'd try this first.

==Brett