Idle

I'm hoping u guys can help me out on this one.  The car (16V) does not idle
steadily everytime it comes to a stop.  Everytime it nears 1000rpm it will
plummet well below idle. It will fluctuate up and down 3 or 4 times and then
finally settle at about 900rpms.  Sometimes it dips so far down shutting off
the car.  Another problem is the tach needle surging to the redline before
the car even starts.  Just wanna make sure there's somthing I can check out
first before taking it to a shop.
Thanks in advance everyone.

Michael
86 2.0 16V

P.S.
  If anyone was recently able to get a hold of those aluminum bracket, let me
know too.  thanx again.