Re: Shaved Head response/question

You and I both know that adjustable cam sprockets are illegal in DSP
:^).  JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have one offset keyway at the shop.  It looks like a normal
spocket key, like a half moon, except the half that sits into the
camshaft is offset from the half that sets into the sprocket.  They
are pretty trick.  Sort of looks like it is partially sheered off.
This allows you to retard or advance your cam timing depending on
which way you install it.  We are looking to advance to compensate
for the shaved head.

I dunno the 'exact' degrees these little guys give, but they do
indeed make a difference in the performance.  The retarded cam timing
from the shaved head reduces low-end torque, but screams in the
higher rpms.  The offset keyway will give back the low-end torque
needed for good acceleration.

> To:            phillyscca@mail.enter.net
> Cc:            scirocco-L@scirocco.org
> Subject:       Re: Shaved Head response/question
> From:          Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com>
> Date:          Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:06:45 EDT

> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:16:35 4 "Ken and Susan Buck"
> <phillyscca@mail.enter.net> writes:
>
> >When you shave the head, it will change the cam placement on the
> >timing belt, actually retarding the head timing.  The expensive fix
> >is to buy an adjustable cam sprocket.  SOMEONE makes an offset
> >keyway, but I have no idea where I can buy them.  IF ANYONE KNOWS
> >WHERE I CAN GET OFFSET CAM KEYWAYS, please let me know.
> >These will allow you to advance the sprocket to compensate for the
> >timing difference without having that huge adjustable cam sprocket.
>

> Has the amount of cam retardation been determined Dr. Ken?
> What exactly is an  OFFSET CAM KEYWAY?
> I realize that using an adjustable cam gear is not the answer your
> looking for but I dont think they're too expensive. ($80 or so?) Not
> exactly cheap either but certainly withing a tight budgets reach.
> Or is it that you dont want the obviousity of the AD. cam gear? :)
>

> >Who has an answer?????????????????
>

> I dunno! I dunno man!!!!
>

>               Shawn Meze
> 86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
> The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
> best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
> http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Ken Buck
1999 Philadelphia Region SCCA RE
78 DSP VW Scirocco- regional champ 94, 96, 97, 98
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car #12
84 VW Scirocco daily driver 217,000 miles and still screaming
66 Olds F-85, second owner, second set of tires.