Re: More Performance [lightened flywheels]

Is there any detriment to lightening the flywheel?

The scenario I am thinking about is this:

The more weight the flywheel has, the more momentum it has once it has attained a certain speed, and it more easily maintains its rotational speed.  That is, the motor has to work less to keep the flywheel rotating at that specific speed.  yes, it takes more work for the motor to get the flywheel to reach that speed, but once it is there it would be easie to maintain.  Thus, it would seem that a ligter flywheel would be better for increased acceleration (because the motor has to move less mass), but would not be so good for maintaining speed (cruising at highway speed for example).

It seems that a car whit a lightened flywheel would have its motor work more (longer?) to maintain a cruising speed than a car w/o a lightened flywheel; but on the other hand , the lightened flywheel car would accelerate faster.

This is just my thinking on the topic as I don't have any scientific, technical knowledge about this.  Makes sense to me though...waddaya think?

Sooo, lightened flywheel better for acceleration, not so good for cruising?

Victor J. Farren
Research & Reference Services
PPC/CDIE/DI/RRS
Tel: (202) 661-5842