Re: More Performance

At 04:26 PM 6/10/99 -0500, ted groth wrote:
>When I bought it the shifter ball assembly was in pieces and the shifter
>was about ready to fall completely out the bottom.  I replaced the ball
>assembly, it cost me more then the car did. I only paid $50 for the car
>and the ball assembly cost me $56.  The guys wife made him sell the
>car(fast). I was hoping that was the only problem, so  I put the ball
>assembly in, still no fourth or fifth. next I checked the linage
>underneath ever thing looked ok. I checked the fluid in the trany. There
>was nothing at the fill plug so I pulled the drain plug, there was about
>three drops. I  pulled the trany and one of the front seals was leaking,
>the clutch was shot from the gear lube. I've got a friend who has a good
>trany for $100.
>
>I ordered a K&N filter it should be in tomorrow. Where can I get a cam?
>and what size should I go, lift and duration, etc.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Ted G.
>86 Scirocco 8V

Welcome to the list Ted.  Sounds like the tranny probably is shot then  if
there wasn't any fluid in it.  Often low fluid and/or worn linkage can cause
these symptoms too.  We have two list members who are in the VW parts business
and everyone seems very satisfied with them.  One in Mark at Adirondack(don't
know the URL) and Mike at VirtualWorldParts http://www.parts4vws.com
sales@parts4vws.com
714.663.2434
I have used them for parts(many now) and am very happy.  He probably could help
you pick out a cam for your type of driving too.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)