Re: Audio nuts only

Don't you find that without rear speakers it is very difficult to get a good
volume/bass combination bearing in mind the front aperture is 6*4 only. I use
custom Pioneer 6*4 midrange and custom 1" Pioneer tweeters running at 80hz + and
40w per channel pure (100wRMS). I found that using just the fronts would give a
good soundstage but no depth and a lack of bass. If i allow a lower frequency
say 50hz to run through the fronts then i get depth at the expense of power
handling as the 6*4 units struggle to deliver any bass/volume combination and at
motorway speeds (85mph) the bass disappears as the road/wind/engine noises drown
it completely.
I appreciate the back speakers provide your back seat passengers with excellent
sound but the purpose of a quality car audio is to balance the sound against the
deficiences of the enviroment (a steel box not being the best acoustic platform)
so ideally you should centre the sound and imaging approxiamately above the
gearstick/slightly to your front and to do this including a reasonable (not
neceesarily thumping) bass will require the back speakers.
You are quite correct about the hatch creating a "megaphone" effect as my JBL
6*9's can if i provoke them quite comfortably match my friends twin 10"
Rockfords in a box in the back of his 325i but i generally like to end my
journey without my ears bleeding and ringing.
However if you are careful in selecting your components, use decent cabling
(this is very important and can make a huge difference) and are prepared to
spend time on a careful installation and setup then you can obtain a very high
quality sound without resorting to subs.
In my humble opinion this can be acheived with the minimum of
Head Unit
4 channel amp(with built in crossover)
4 quality speakers
Good quality interconnect and speaker cables

Lastly if you are running your'e power directly from the battery do put an in
line fuse on the cable as close to the battery as possible (mine is strapped to
the battery) which will probably save you a lot of cash in the event of you
making an error on installation or a short within the set up.

Please note all of the above is based on my personal experience with a UK spec
vehicle and may or may not be applicable to US or other specs.
I hope some of the above gives some background info which maybe useful but a
word of warning. Once you start upgrading the in car audio you are taking the
first step on a path where every upgrade will show up the weakest link in your
system thus prompting another upgrade and so on and so forth

Enjoy
Andy
91 Scala 8v