Re: Got a cylinder head

Well. . . First we (john) tried to take off the head the way you should,
that is removing all necessary components including the exhaust manifold.
Anyway, those two nuts under the manifold wouldn't break free for nothing,
all I could really supply was moral support for John since I didn't want to
break my cool new stitches.  After a lot of sweat and skinned knuckles (on
John's part) we sort of decided to enlist the help John's dad and tractor to
lift the car up, take it out of the barn and work on it there.  We put
chains through the door openings, rested the bucket of the tractor on the
roof of the car and fastened the chain to the front of the bucket.  When the
car was picked up it bent the shit out of the roof and door openings, but
not through the doors themselves.  Once we got it outside and after we tried
a few things we decided to turn the car on its side.  Once this was
accomplished, the best thing we could come up with was to saws-all through
the downpipe, and if you ask John's dad, it is easier said than done.  that
stainless steel is some hard stuff to saw through.  It took two blades.
Just to complicate things the nearest outlet was at the other end of the
barn, but I wasn't surprised when John and his dad rounded up 200 feet of
extension cord to do the job.  Before the car was put on its side we took
off both of the doors and I had to laugh when his dad commented that he had
never heard of taking car doors off to remove an exhaust.  There was
something surreal about the whole event.  To finish the story, the head is
at the shop getting a complete valve job and machining  (no cracks John!!!),
the exhauast manifold and partial downpipe is in the back of my GF's civic,
and the busted up hulk of a Scirocco is safe in John's barn.  It is trashed!
What a week.

Josh