RE: Re: [tech] water pump pulley replacement 16V??

William J Erikson wrote:
>If the pulley is clicking and wiggling, then I'd say you need a new
water
>pump. What's probably happening is that the bearings that are in the
>water pump are wearing out.
>	-Josiah

Hmmm, could be, but I've had the paterpump pulley on my GF's 86 GLi go
bed and make an awful ruckuss.

Rich describes that the waterpump has 2 pulleys and this was the same
setup as on my GF's car. one belt goes from crank-PS pupmp-WP, one from
crank-WP-AC, and then the standard AC-alternator. The WP has a double
pulley setup and the two different pulleys are held together by what
seemed to be some kind of clutch thingie. So if the PS pump froze up,
then the WP, and alternator would still be able to spin.

Well, this "clutch" material had worn out allowing the pulley not bolted
to the WP (probably the larger one) to wiggle.

I fabricated my own tool like the one SP tools sells through TT and
Autotech. Big Ass washer, 3 holes drilled, and 2 steel rods welded on.
Painted a nice red color for longetevity.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco