Re: Fwd: [tech] water pump pulley replacement 16V??

What I do (I replaced the bolts with normal hex head, but this will work w/
2 6mm allens wrenches) is put an allen in 2 of the bolts, use one for
leverage and loosen the other one. This will tighten the one you using for
leverage, but not much hopefully. Then you loosen the one that you
tightened the first time with your leverage allen on the one you just
loosened (which will tighten it..doesn't seem productive, but stay with me
here) and then you break the last one you haven't touched yet on the one
you just loosened. You should now have 2 loose and one tight, but it
shouldn't be too hard to put the allen across the center of the pulley to
minimize torque on it and take the bolt out because it was already broken
loose before.

this is a very long winded way of doing it, but it's pretty fast actually.
the priciple is that the hardest thing to do is break the bolt loose after
miles and miles of road grime, time and rust.

At 02:10 PM 6/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>the allen heads are 6mm allen.
>
>the trick is to hold the pulleys in place to get leverage. I usually use
vice grips - but you must be carefull not to bend the pulleys . . .

Kevin Fry
aka aventari
icq#21583385