[Non-Roc] QSW's: What to look for?

I have the opportunity to look at a 87 Quantum Syncro tomorrow, and was
wondering if anyone (A-HEM, Josiah!) could tell me:
1. What to look for/typical things that go bad.
2. How reliable they are.
3. Are they outrageously expensive to fix? (keep in mind I own a 16v, so
is it going to be even more than that?)

The seller is a local VW club member. The car has 110kMi, power
everything, a bunch of new/extra parts, and an Alpine sound system.
Supposedly the interior is very clean, but he hasn't yet mentioned the
body. Also claims that all service has been done at the club's chosen
shop (South Central, where I've been taking my Roc lately...I'm gonna
call the shop owner) and that it has always used synthetic fluids for
engine, tranny, etc. He's asking $3800.