RE: Almost Made It 2 Weeks!

> Your message makes me hesitant to reply, because I'm not sure what you
> mean by everything. What do you mean that if you hold the key all the way
> it will start but eventually die, otherwise it just won't start? Don't
> you always have to hold the key all the way (to the start position) to
> make it start? The starter isn't supposed to engage until the "start"
> position, which is all the way clockwise, and stops as soon as you let go
> of the key. Do you mean the engine turns over, or that it actually fires
> and starts, and then dies?

My meaning is that unless I continue holding the key in the "start"
position, the car will die instantly.  It will die anyway after about 10
seconds, and do a short hiccup when I release the key.

Suprisingly, most of my cables/connectors aren't really gunky or dirty in
any way, but we are about to disconnect and reconnect the battery, and that
failing, we'll try to jumpstart the car.  The previous owner of the car put
on really nice battery connectors and a nice one going to the starter.
They're brass looking and kind of shiny.  The positive terminal of the
battery connector has two or three wires going to different places, mostly
to two or three what look like relays mounted on the metal right by the
battery.  the connector on the starter also has a couple of extra wires
coming from it, presumably to guages in the car.  Off the top of my head I
have three vdo guages where the ashtray goes (one which I forget what it is,
a vacuum guage, and a volts guage.)

Ah, how I wish I had a digital camera so I could just show you! ;-)

All the best,
-Norm