Re: question of difference some mods will make

---Robert H Luhrs <rhl@student.umass.edu> wrote:

> Ok, i have a stock 86 8 valve, now that it is summer and i have a job that
> pays me enough money to actually do something with my car (job at school
> pays diddlysquat, summer computer internship much better :) Here is what i
> had in mind: I need to replace the valve cover gasket and the exhasut
> manifold gasket, i figured while i have to do that i might as well get a
> 6-bolt manifold (the 4-2 one) and a dual downpipe into a 2" cat
> (complements of a combo of potterman and adirondack :)

Good idea.  I understand the switch from the birdbath manifold to the
dual outlet unit is worth around 7hp alone, a free flowing exhaust will
only make it better.

> I am also planning
> on getting a g-grind cam while the valve cover is off. (assuming that they
> are solid  lifters of course, as no one is really sure, but it seems as if
> they are, i fiugre if they are, i put in the cam, then shim the lifters,

Yes, it's  solid lifter head.  I've heard that the G grind is a good
streetable cam.  Worth somewhere around 5-10hp in combo with the better
exhaust.

> voila) If i do these mods, does anyone know approx what kind of increase
> in power, either real or seat of the pants feel?

I'll hazard a guess around 15hp boost, which isn't bad. for only a few
hundred dollars, try that on a 16v! :)

> Or for approx. the same
> amount of money does anyone have any other suggestions where my money
> would be better spent?

In addition to the above mods, add a larger throttlebody from a late
model A2.  It's the same as the Neuspeed throttlebody, you just have to
move the linkages to the other side.

> Robert Luhrs
>
> (basically, i was happy with the car until my dad went out and bought an
> 88 16v that blows my doors off, now i need more power :)

Uh, maybe you need a 16v too! ;-)

==Brett