Fwd: Clutch cable

From: "Richard Deede" <delrocco@hotmail.com>

Hey everyone, My clutch feels VERY stiff and I just attributed it being a
sport clutch.  But today, it felt much stiffer and it felt like it was
rubbing/grinding on something, and now there is about an inch of free pedal
travel before I fell the clutch engage at all.  I figured I just need to
adjust the cable(i have the manual cable), so I did like the bentley said
and I really don't think it did anything.  Can anyone tell me any tips on
adjusting the cable correctly or anything else to check out to fix the
stiffness, rubbing and, 1 inch of freeplay.  I also do not see any kind of
fraying on the cable so I don't think that there is anything actually wrong
with the cable.  Oh, one last thing. Should the cable be greased up, could
it just be that it needs a good greasing?

TIA,

Rich Deede
1988 Scirocco 2.0 16v
1987 Scirocco 16v- R.I.P.
How old is the cable? If you don't know, I'd just replace the clutch cable (they're cheap enough, unless you have one of those self-adjusters, in which case I recommend replacing with the manual adjust type - much cheaper $20 vs $65?)

Don't let it go for long though. One time I let the cable get stiff for too long and I ended up pulling the cable retainer through the fire wall - believe me, you don't want this happening.

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco
1987 Golf GT
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Previous Sciroccos: 1975 (2), 1981 S (1), 1980 S (1)
Then there's Kristen's '78 Scirocco