Re: 2.1L

Well, if VW can call their 1980cc or whatever engine a 2.0L, then i think
you can call a 2080cc a 2.1L.  I asume Jonas, that you are talking about
using just a stock 1.8L to get a 2.1L.  What i am talking about is starting
with the 2L bubble block.

 Here is some info from a while back on the A2 16v list.

----------------------------
<<<<Subject: Re: 2.2 Liter 16v!?
>I remember talking to Velocity many moons ago and they do some pretty
>'out there' things with their engines...

In who's opinion.  We just safely take things a little further.

>like 86mm pistons(over 2.2l>with a 95.5 crank!).

They were 85.5mm and the were used by an employee.  They were never anything
we even considered selling to the public.

>  BTW, when I asked them if they thought forged
>pistons were a good idea for a daily driver, they said that forged
>piston technology had come a long way and the tolerances are much
>better (at startup temps).

I never would do it in a standard VW 4 cylinder block, especially not for
street use.

>IMHO, anyone who thinks 86mm is a
>reasonable thing to do (no matter how much ultrasonic testing is done)
>is a little bit wacko.

Probably.  When you find someone like that, let me know, I think I can get a
110mm crank. ; )Mark>>

>86mm??? Are you sure?  The most you can safely bore a 16V block to is
84.5mm.
>That leaves just over 3mm of wall between cylinders.And?
>Do the math and you'll see
>that just won't work...  Why?>>

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.  If an 84.5mm bore leaves only 3mm of
cylinder wall, an 86mm bore will leave close to *no* cylinder wall.  1.5mm
increase in bore means 3mm total material removed between cylinders, which
is
all you have left after an 84.5mm bore.  Sorry for being unclear.

<<84.5mm bore with a 92.8mm (stock 2.0l) stroke>yields 2080cc of
displacement.

Yep! (Well 2082cc to be a little more accurate) What about 84.5 X
95.5(2142cc)
  We're currently building one for a customer
>using Wiseco forged true 11:1 pistons (nice design, offset wrist pin).

Wiseco in a STREET MOTOR?!?!?!  What clearance?>>

Who said street motor?  .004 clearances, not huge but it'll knock a little
on
start-up.

< Didn't
>C&R of the UK build a 2.2l from a 2.0l 16V short (vs tall) block?  I
remember
>it used a monster long stroke that required oil pump shaft clearancing.  I
>think they called the "Destroyer" or something.

83mm bore X 99mm stroke (Oettinger forged crank.  No longer available)
Jeremy WolfVelocity Sport Tuning, Inc.>>

Thanks for the specs.Regards,Todd
Air & WaterVW Tuning_____________List Sponsor: http://www.connecticom.com
To remove yourself from this list, send mail to majordomo@connecticom.com
with
'unsubscribe a2_16v' in the body of your message
Visit the 16V Homepage at http://www.gti16v.org