Re: what a SHITTY day for my 87..

Well, intuitive might not be the word I would describe dismantling the upper
part of the seat.  Although it is easy to see what has to be removed to
accomplish the job, actually removing some of the things is very hard.  The
bent pieces attached to the seat frame on the bottom are easy to bend back.
Then you can lift out the middle portion of the seat cushion.  Now you can
see tiny staple-like things that wrap around the spring frame on the inside.
  Carefully unbend these.  Be very sure not to pull too hard on any one
piece of fabric because you do not want to tear the fabric.  As you get to
the top of the inner cushion, there is a rod that goes accross the seat with
more staples attached to it.  Remove all these staples too.  Remove the side
release handle and trim piece.

Once you are sure you have every last staple released, you can start to
slide the fabric up the frame.  Probably the hardest part is removing the
plastic headrest mounts.  Pulling the fabric up will give you better access
to the back side of the mounts.  This is definitely a two person job.  I
used a socket to defeat the fingers on the mount and a screwdriver for
leverage to pull the mount out of the seat.  It's hard to describe and hard
to do.  Once you have these pieces out, your fabric will be unattached from
the seat.

Now you can simply slip your fabric over your new frame.  And as the Bentley
says, assembly is the reverse of disassembly.  Getting everything stretched
tight and bending the staples back around the wires is easier with an extra
set of hands.

With the broken frame, you do risk damaging your fabric.  So I would suggest
that if you have to drive around before you can fix the driver's seat, you
can switch the upper part of the passenger seat onto the driver's lower
part.  Finding untorn fabric for the upper part of the driver's seat is VERY
hard!!  Don't tear yours!!!

Bring your seat tomorrow, we'll help you get it apart!

HTH,
Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Pre-S S