RE: parking lights on all the time????

As a troubleshooting strategy, get out the wiring diagrams and focus on
the areas that all affected lights share.

I don't have any diagrams in front of me, so I can't really help. But I
know that many VW electrical systems use switches/sensors that complete
circuits to ground. If the parking/interior lights are the same, then
it's possible that the wire from the lights is partially grounding out.

Hmm, actually I might be wrong. You said that they come on whenever the
car is on. Are they off when the car is off? That's kinda strange and
seems to indicate that the ignition switch circuit is involved somehow.

The getting brighter as the switch is turned to the "on" position also
indicates a -partial- completion of the circuit. Like a wire touching or
worn through somewhere.

How did you check the switch BTW? Multimeter?

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco