my driver's side seat just "snapped" on me - wtf?

hey all-
so, i was driving somewhere when all of a sudden, i heard a "snap" in my
seat. as i'm driving, i put my hand along the back to feel what's up and
.... the top portion of my seat just snapped?!? (left hand side of the
driver's seat) - my seats are leather (i don't know if this makes a
difference).
what gives? anything i can do about this? (i don't have time to take a
closer look, but i'm hoping that it's a simple fix and not one where i have
to buy a new seat.)
any ideas?
dave