This list is the greatest (and why) (longish)

Hey all I just need to say how much this list rocks. And mostly the member I have met through it.

Here is the story.

Well I had a rather great drive to LA over the weekend. The 'rocco was one of the fastest cars on the road. Hauled ass up I5 from LA to the Great Valley. Was doing 85 in 5th up the mountain. Passing all!

Monday same old job. Not much to write home about. Get a call from a friend in the city (San Fran) and we plan to meet for brew and pool. Cool. Get like 8 or so blocks from his pad and am kinda lost (new place) and find my way and am sitting at a light when my car stalls. WTF? Try to crank but will not catch. Pop the hood, all looks good. All electrics are working. Strange. Check the fuses. Ah Ha. Blown fuel pump relay fuse. Dig out my trusty spares and replace fuse. POP! Blown again!

At this time a cop pulls up behind and asks whats up. Tell him car will not start and my friend is on the way. He says I need to move the car (sitting at light) and he pushes me across the intersection to a red zone across the street. (No visual scratch on bumper). Friend comes on bike. He does not know much about cars. I call TBerk to ask what two terminals I need to connect to jump fuel pump. Leave a message. I decide to jump the 30 and 87 connections after racking my brain to figure out what the diagram on the relay means. Start car. It starts! Cool! Oh Shit! Where is that smoke coming from?!? SHIT! My cars is on fire!. Jump out. Pull jumper wire out. Still smoking. Grab fire extinguisher and spray. It is out but now my interior is covered with white powder.

TBerk calls. I tell him what has happened so far. He and Al are working on Al's scirocco and we figure the fuse box has shorted out. He finds a spare fuse box and offers to come up and help. Well he does. Awesome. Around 10:45 we meet at the car and check out the car. We pull the fuse box down and reinstall the fuel pump relay with new fuse. Well damn the thing starts! Runs fine. We cut it off and TBerk checks out behind the box. Finds the shorted wire. It was a 30 connection that mates up with the O2 sensor. It burned the insulation off one section. I mean no plastic at all! And made the lead to the firewall crispy indeed. We isolated the wire to the O2 relay and pulled the O2 relay so it would not demand the juice. Limped all the way home with TBerk and Al following behind.

Do you know how great it is to have someone drive 45 minutes to help you out? And they both came. Friggin' awesome. Got my car home and everything.

That, my friends, is why this list is so cool.

Thanks again TBerk and Al.

Yeah I owe you.

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s